just a warning on roaming charges: Be careful when going near or through Switzerland to join Italy as it IS NOT PART of the european economic zone ! It means that data you consume will probably be considered outside your bundle and be (very) expensive. I will write an article this weekend on how to adjust settings so your phone doesn't connect automatically to the internet when roaming. See you all soon !
Well… here it is !
Does my operator include switzerland in their roaming package ?
First, it might be a good thing to know if you have to worry about this matter:
Check with your operator if they consider Switzeland as part of Europe, for most, it’s not the case :
- Proximus : no, as stated on their website :
Åland Islands (Finland), Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guyana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe (French Antilles), Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique (French Antilles), Mayotte, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Réunion, Romania, San Marino (French Antilles), Saint-Barthélemy (French Antilles), Saint Martin (French Antilles), Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom + Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.Don’t forget, Switzerland is not part of the EU
- Base: no, as stated on their website :
Within Europe (EU-zone), there are no extra charges. Outside of the EU-zone (including Switzerland, Monaco and Jersey), extra costs will be charged.
- Orange: maybe, the page is a bit difficult to understand if you don’t know their offer.
if you have ‘Aigle Premium (Smarphone)’, the switzerland IS INCLUDED in the european roaming package called ‘Best Destinations’:
Veuillez noter également que la Suisse ne fait pas partie de l’Union européenne. Elle est intégrée dans la zone Best Destinations.
- Telenet: no, as stated on their website :
Belgique, Bulgarie, Chypre (sauf partie turque et zone neutre des Nations Unies), Danemark, Allemagne, Estonie, Finlande, France (y compris Guyane française, Guadeloupe, Réunion, Martinique, Mayotte, la partie francophone de l’île de Saint-Martin), Grèce, Hongrie, Irlande, Islande, Italie, Croatie, Lettonie, Liechtenstein, Lituanie, Luxembourg, Malte, Pays-Bas, Norvège, Pologne, Portugal (y compris Açores et Madère), Roumanie, Saint-Marin, Slovénie, Slovaquie, Espagne, Iles Canaries, République tchèque, Vatican, Royaume-Uni (y compris Gibraltar), Suède.
My operator doesn’t include Switzerland in their roaming package
AKA : I live in Belgium, so I am used to not having access to sweet things related to mobile networks
What can I do to prevent my phone from connecting to the internet on a roaming network ?
On Android :
- Open the Applications menu and tap Settings
- Tap Mobile network
- Tap Data roaming
- If you don’t want to use data abroad, change toggle the Data roaming button to the left. If you want to allow usage of data abroad, change Data roaming to the right.
- If you switch roaming to automatic, you may see the message: Allow data roaming? You may incur significant roaming charges! Tap OK
On iPhones :
- Tap Settings
- Tap General
- Tap Network
- Switch Data roaming to off or on
If you are using one of the latest version of Android, it might be a good idea to configure a tile in the notification drawer to allow quick access to the setting:
Click edit (or ‘+’, or the pencil, it depends which phone you have)
Once you click on the edit button, the screen is divided in 2 parts, simply drag tiles from the bottom section to the top to add it to the settings panel.
The tile you are looking for is the ‘Mobile Data‘ Tile, bear in mind to add it to the first row of the panel, so it can be show easy.
Once it’s configured, it depends on the phone you have.
- A click on the ‘Mobile Data’ tile will toggle the internet connectivity over the cellular network
- A long press on the same tile will access network settings, where you can toggle the roaming acces as seen in this article.
- It might be useful to follow the same procedure to add the ‘bluetooth’ tile to the quick settings if you have bluetooth connectivity in your car.
- it is possible to download offline areas on Google Maps so it keeps working properly, while Internet connectivity is not available, follow my article if you wish to know how.